Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Preschoolers are Great

I teach preschool...3 year olds to be exact. And they are hilarious. Seriously, I love to just watch them explore and interact with each other. Today we were walking back from the playground and there were birds flying over head between a couple of trees and the top of the building. I never knew birds could be so exciting! They went on and on. They were all talking at once about the birds. About what color they were. About where they were sitting and where they were coming from. About the noises they were making. Then I turned around to see them flapping their arms like wings and making "tweeting" sounds. It was cracking me up because I was simply amazed at their amazement of something so simple.

I'm not one to say that I'm excited to have children of my own. I love being able to send them home after a few hours. But I think everyone should spend time with kids from time to time. They offer a perspective on life that so many of us have lost.

It's so obvious to me why Jesus talks about approaching the Kingdom of God like a child. You can't fully understand this unless you've spent a lot of time with kids but I think this may be one of the key points to a "religion" that is alive and powerful.

As adults we (I) are (am) SO cynical, so jaded. We can only see the world in the way we've always seen it. We miss so much. We read the Bible like a text book instead of a beautiful piece of mysterious literature. We approach God with three easy steps and we have patterns and plans for spiritual growth.

Kids don't see the world that way or experience the world that way. Every day is fresh and new and a little black bird is an awesome sight to see. Children ask questions. Lots and lots of questions. They love to learn new things and experience new things! They aren't embarrased to share their excitement and amazement. They find great joy in sharing their observations and joy with their friends and anybody who will listen. They don't get hung up on unnecessary details. They see life as something to be lived fully, without hesitation and without fear. They jump in head first! They love deeply and aren't afraid to show it. They forgive quickly and trust easily. The world to a preschooler is a great mystery to be loved and explored and passionately lived.

If we could catch just a mustard seed size of that "child-likeness," life and religion would be full of genuine joy and amazement each and every day.

No comments: