Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Chosen and Believed In

I know I already said how much I loved Velvet Elvis but there's another thought that has rolled around in my head for a while that I read there and thought I would share. Please bare with the "background" information because it's important to my point.

In Jewish culture boys at like age 12 would start this process of education with the hopes of someday becoming a Rabbi. At certain points during the process there would be an evaluation and boys who weren't cutting it were sent home to learn the family business. At the end of this process the boys that were left were to choose a Rabbi to follow. They would go to that Rabbi and request to be their disciple. The Rabbi would then put them through this evaluation that would help him decide whether the boy/man could be his disciple. If the Rabbi truly believed that this man could in fact be just like him (because that was the goal of a disciple - to be just like his Rabbi) then he would choose him. If he did not believe that he could be just like him, he would then send the man/boy home to learn the family business.

Along comes Jesus. A Rabbi. He finds fishermen, rejected boys sent home to learn the family trade, not good enough to be a disciple, not believed in by a Rabbi. And Jesus says to them, come, follow me, be my disciples.

Now it has always seemed strange to me that these men just dropped everything and followed this random man who came along and told them to. I now understand that it was common for a man/boy to drop everything and leave his family to follow a Rabbi and Jesus was known to be a Rabbi. It was an honor to be called to follow and any normal Jewish man would have been thrilled to be chosen.

The fascinating thing is this...Jesus called the rejected, cast out, not good enough men and believed in them. Jesus believed that these men had what it took to be just like Him.

Consider the story of Peter walking on water with Jesus. While we may think it strange that Peter would want to do this, it would have been common for a disciple to want to do exactly what his Rabbi did. Could it be that when Peter began to sink and Jesus said, "Why did you doubt?" he didn't mean "Why did you doubt me?" he insteand meant, "Why did you doubt yourself? I called you. I chose you. I believe in you. Why can't you believe?"

I imagine Jesus says this a lot to me. I used to be SO full of ideals and hopes and passions for what could be. I believed in who I could become. So much has happened in recent years that I find it hard to believe anymore. I find it hard to see myself as chosen and called and believed in. This deeper understanding of the reality of this situation with Jesus calling his disciples has helped renew that hope in me that I can be as Jesus called me to be.

We all need to see ourselves in light of that. We have been called by God. That means for whatever reason, he believes we can be like him. We put all this focus on getting into heaven when I wonder if really we are called and chosen so that we can be Jesus on earth. We can make this world a better place by being Jesus on earth. By following his teachings and fighing against the injustice of the world and standing for all that is weak and powerless, we can be Jesus on earth. We are called and chosen not for a "personal" relationship or "personal" salvation but to be Jesus for the world. To bring hope, life and love to a world desperately in need of those things. Being a follower of Christ isn't about crossing over a line from hell to heaven. It is about being like Jesus so the world can become a better place. It is not about waiting for heaven to come so we can be rid of all the junk of this world. It is about being like Jesus so the junk of this world becomes infested with the love of Jesus.

The Kingdom of God is now. Jesus believes in us. He believes that we can be like him. And as idealistic as it may sound, Jesus believes that we can make this world a better place. We are called to make this world a better place. We are called to stop waiting and wishing for heaven and to start working to bring heaven here and now.

No comments: