Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Switchfoot at the Crystal Ballroom

I saw Switchfoot in concert my freshman year of college when their first CD had come out and they were touring with Third Day and All-Star United. Let's just say that they've gotten better...a lot better! It's a fuzzy photo because I scanned it from my scrapbook but here's a photo of me and my friend Jen with them. We all look about 12 years old!



If you haven't had the chance to attend a concert at the Crystal Ballroom, make time...it's awesome! There's nothing like rock-n-roll blaring in your ears, standing on a suspended floor that bounces with every step while enjoying the museum-like beauty of the room. It's fascinating.

On to the concert.... First of all, it's amazing to me the following that Switchfoot has in Portland. People love them. The concert was better attended and the energy was higher than when I saw Jimmy Eat World there. (Who by the way happen to be one of my favorite bands.) I thought the audience was going to revolt. As each "listen to this CD until we're ready" song came to a close, the room would chant "Switchfoot...Switchfoot....Switchfoot" until another song played from the CD and so on until finally the room filled with screams and I knew (I was too short to really see) that it was time.

Lyrically, Switchfoot provides hope to a world without it. Though never coming out and singing that Jesus died for you, you sense that there is something bigger that you were made to be a part of. It's beautiful. The lyrics are honest and raw and are relatable to the human condition.

Their songwriting demonstrates an appreciation for a quality hook and singable melody. People at this concert didn't just sing along with the most popular radio hits, they sang along with it all. There were several times the band laid back and just let the audience blend their voices with the power of a gospel choir.

Imagine the beauty of standing in a room full of people who do and do not consider themselves followers of Christ, singing together with one strong voice...

"We want more than this world has to offer. We want more than this world has to offer. We want more than the wars of our fathers. And everything inside, screams for second life. We were meant to live for so much more..."

And musically, well they rock! The groove of the rhythm section and driving force of the guitars reminded me how much I love music. Matt often teases me because I can't let a groove go by without starting to dance. And there's nothing better than loud, melodic, passionate rock-n-roll to set you in motion.

Overall, I had a blast and would totally see them in concert again. When I took that photo with them in college, I never expected they would become the powerful band that they have. I'm thrilled that the industry took a chance and let the grow into what they are today!





No comments: